Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall into this soup-

This week's French Fridays with Dorie online cooking group recipe is "Spiced Squash, Fennel, and Pear Soup". 

A longer list of ingredients I have rarely encountered!

I chose butternut squash and roasted it ahead of time, as directed in the recipe.



I never before purchased or cooked with fennel.  Once again, Dorie introduces me to a wonderful thing.  I am not a fan of licorice but fennel is really nice! All the ingredients are cooked together, seasoned with garlic, ground ginger, cumin and freshly grated nutmeg, then emulsified with an immersion blender.  Voila!  Yummy goodness in a bowl. I swirled a little creme fraiche on top.  Four out of four adventurous tasters agreed, this one is a Fall Favorite. Savory and sweet all at once.



I served mine with a repeat performance of the Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Nice. This time I used cooked brown rice in place of the stale bread cubes.  It was also a winner at the table.  Might as well cram all the flavors of fall into one meal...

Dessert was Nutella Tartine, from page 415.  I almost picked something apple, staying with the theme, but knowing I had limited time, that extra loaf of home-made brioche in the freezer, and a fan of chocolate at the table made this a more favorable choice.  I actually found a jar of "bitter orange marmalade" at the market. And by the way, it tasted awful!  But I went ahead and smeared the brioche with it anyway and you know what?  It was great and got another score of 4 out of 4. Well I think it did because it disappeared in a matter of minutes.  Dorie was right: No leftovers except the crumbs.



Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Your soup looks great. I've been out of town all week, so didn't get to make any (I'll have a substitute Dorie recipe up), but delighted to see how everyone else's soups turned out! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete