Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sardine Rillettes

Let me just say right now that I never met a sardine.  Really. Or not that I know of.  Buying my first can I'm thinking, huh?  But then this whole Dorie journey is one new thing after another so why not?

Dorie explains the term "rillettes", not so long ago, typically meant a rich, salty spread made from pork, goose or duck cooked slowly in its own fat. Really?  I don't know anyone who is that brand of typical, I guess. Salmon is more typical these days, Dorie says.  Looking back, I might have stayed with the more current, trendy favorite...

Dorie offers the wisdom that this recipe comes together in 10 minutes. Well, maybe, if you don't have to dissect each little oily fish first, to remove its teeny tiny little spine.  My cans o' fish were not "boned". (It did not take me one second per fish, but I'm new at this.)

Slice each fish in half horizontally.
Use the tip of your knife to lift 0ut the little spine.


Other ingredients include cream cheese, minced shallot, green onion, lime or lemon juice, minced fresh herbs, piment d'Espelette or cayenne, salt and pepper. Sounds tasty!

I followed Dorie's instructions which include mixing all ingredients together then mashing the sardines into the mixture with a fork. She says, "Taste for seasoning, adding more juice, salt and pepper if you like.". Well I did. I guess it has to sit for a while. Aren't all dips and spreads better after they sit a while? You cover the surface of the dip with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or over night.



We tried this with crackers as a light supper.  Neither one of us cared for it much.  Defnitely not a do-over.

No comments:

Post a Comment