Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Meal in Two Jars, yes, JARS

Okay so I read this recipe, "Salmon and Potatoes in a Jar" and thought...huh? Reading Dorie's text didn't help. Hubby and I have not partaken of Gravlax or Tartare.  We don't purchase fish in jars.  But, Dorie did say this dish is a never fail knock-out.  Had to try it. Even Hubby was on-board, he LOVES salmon.

Found the jars at the supermarket, no problem. The ingredients are readily available.  I did fail to notice the time required- refrigerating the salmon first in a salt/sugar rub over night. Then packing it into a jar along with red onion, carrots, thyme, spices, filled to the top with olive oil- this sat in the fridge another night.  The second jar is similar, except instead of brined salmon you add boiled potatoes and a little vinegar with the other ingredients.

Potato Jar
Well, the packed jars were beautiful! The best part of this dish: remove jars from refrigerator and set them on the table. Eat.   What a great idea for summer. The only heat generated was in boiling the potatoes.



Salmon Jar


I have to admit, this is not likely a do-over for us.  You know what though?  It actually was pretty tasty! The flavors were fresh, clean and delicious.  I felt pretty healthy after I ate it.

It's probably more of a texture thing, particularly the fish.

Next time I entertain guests who LOVE fish out of a jar, I'll know just what to do... thanks to my online cooking group. You can check them out at http://www.frenchfridayswithdorie.com/. And check out Dorie's book, Around My French Table.

4 comments:

  1. This one was interesting for sure! The texture was probably one of the things that threw me for a loop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this!! Did you have to use sushi-grade salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't. I used the Wild Alaskan from Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got my canning jars back after our garage was evacuated. Time to make this. i'm doing a FFwD catchup over at my place. Just finished Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete