Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tropic Crumble



No, not a weather report. This week's Tuesdays With Dorie baking group selected Tropical Crumble from the book, Baking, From my home to yours, page 418.  I previewed the "problems and questions" link on their website and read where a few people found the finished project soggy with too much juice after baking.  Hmmm.  Would I modify the recipe somehow?  I think not. The Medical Laboratory Technologist in me just doesn't allow for veering off the written "Procedure".  Especially without trying it as written first. Creative customization is not my thing.  Perhaps even a tad rigid. But I digress.

The tropical part of Tropical Crumble consists of mangoes, bananas, ginger and a little lime zest. The crumble: brown sugar, butter, pecans, and a little butter.  Me? I would have named this recipe Tropical Praline Pie.  Is that too literal?  Well, I like it. (Later in the recipe Dorie refers to the topping as "streusel", so I wonder why she didn't go with "Tropical Streusel"?)


Whatever we call it, let's also call it YUMMY! A nice, summery treat and hey, mangoes and bananas and ginger are good for us. Can I just add, Dorie Greenspan's recipes are SO very well written.  I believe anybody could do this with a good knife and a pie plate. Oh, and a spoon to eat it with. You won't want to miss a drop.  Serve it with vanilla ice-cream- even better!


No comments:

Post a Comment