Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Who Wants Salt and Pepper in their Cocoa Shortbread Cookies?

Okay, I'm in.  Turns out, if there is chocolate in it, I'm in, no matter what. Bring on the coated cricket, I'd try it. (weak smile)  Comparing myself to some of my friends and co-workers, I am what I would call an adventurous eater.  Most of the time.  Just don't bother with the slimy stuff. Maybe not THAT adventurous. Whatever.

When I saw that the Tuesdays With Dorie group was baking the Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbreads I was very interested.  I like salt with my caramel too.  It's like eating plain M&M's with your peanuts. I know someone who likes M&M's with potato chips.





This is one of those recipes that requires refrigeration of the dough prior to baking.








I have to say, I believe my salt was too coarse a grind because occassionally I would bite into a discernable grain.  That was not off-putting to me, but two fellow tasters didn't care for these.  I didn't let that bother me, in fact it left more for me. Not a good thing, necessarily.

The shortbread-y texture of these cookies was fantastic and melt-in-your-mouth.  Lovely, really. 

I would make these again, using a finer grind of salt.  And I detected no real pepper in the flavor in spite of using the prescribed 1/2 teaspoon, freshly ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment