Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Saturday, December 31, 2011

And the Pie Crust Making Legacy Continues

If this is not one of the most satisfying feelings on earth, I don't know what is.  My amazing daughter has, just this past year, taken a keen interest in baking her own pies using my Aunt Emma's pie crust recipe!  I don't want to mention to her how close she is to becoming her mother (oh horrors), but this one little act warms the cockels of my heart.


Perhaps moving from the desert to the City of Brotherly Love helped, but she wanted to bake pie with me over her college (Go Hooters!) holiday break, and so bake pie we did.  And we giggled and we had The Best Time Ever.


I even got to show her another way to finish the edge.


Amazing Daughter brought a pie recipe from home: Caramel Pecan Pumpkin!


Good Job! What a great day. Merry Christmas to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment