Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Maybe Plain But a Great Personality- Tuesdays With Dorie

So I've done it. Completed my first week. Tuesdays With Dorie is an online cooking group that I read about in O magazine. Since the group has been cooking together for a while, and has grown to enormous proportions, they are no longer accepting new members. I am not deterred. They still publish their recipe selections, week by week, from Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking: From my home to yours". The group members leave their blog links so we can look to see how they did with the chosen recipe.

This week's recipe, from page 36, Blueberry-Brown Sugar Plain Cake.  Sounds fantastic!

The list of ingredients is not complex. I opted for fresh blueberries rather than frozen.  I included the optional cinnamon. Followed the instructions to the letter. My Pyrex dish measures slightly more than 11x7.  This cake went together easily, although I am no expert in whipping egg whites. Not sure how far to go for "firm glossy peaks", so when I saw peaks with a hint of sheen I stopped.
Ready for the oven!

Smells delicious!

There were three of us tasting. Tender and moist. Rave reviews. Bravo! Definitely a do-over.
                                                                                
                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment