Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Today's Date

Ah well, the actual calendar day does not matter. It's only a number, right?  Again I baked along with the Tuesdays With Dorie group, even though I am not an official member. That cookbook is a beautiful thing to behold, Baking from my home to yours.  Not every recipe has a photo with it, and this week's recipe was one of those that did not: Date-Nut Loaf from page 228. Like some of the other bloggers, a recipe including dates did not initally excite me. I was intrigued by Dorie's description about this turning out like more of a cake than a bread. I have to agree.  It is very tender, making me think of Pound Cake, but not as buttery. Perhaps 3 oz of cream cheese is the secret.  Hubby and I tried it day one with slices spread with butter. Day two, slices spread with apricot preserves. Both very delicious, not overly sweet. My conclusion: today's date is Just Right. Now that's something to be happy about, no matter what the number.
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment