Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Plenty and Nothing

Oh, I had plans. It was going to be my best blogging effort yet.  Photo plans: the very prolific cherry tomato plant, the very healthy basil plant, my little basket of home grown ingredients ripened beautifully, just in time for this week's recipe, Mozzarella, Tomato, and Strawberry Salad. A month ago I would have been providing my own strawberries, but it's gotten too hot for them now.

Shopping plans: we found the recommended burrata style mozzarella.  I even bought multi-colored peppercorns so I could pick out the pink ones!

Dinner plans (and this is where it all starts to go awry): Hubby asks about The Plan. I say it's Dorie Book Night. He finds the recipe. I tell him I'll make it when I've finished my workout.  I see him in the kitchen  pulling ingredients out of the refrigerator. I tell him, I'LL MAKE IT WHEN I'M DONE.  I am 10 feet away from him. He is marvelling over his new Shun knife (Father's Day gift to himself), and how well it slices the mozzarella. I ignore him.

What do you suppose happens next.

Workout is over, time to make the salad, right?

Salad is finished. Sitting on the counter. Tastes good. Game over. 

There are more cherry tomatoes on the plant outside. They are bright green.

Let's check out the French Fridays With Dorie site for other bloggers' fun experiences!
http://www.frenchfridayswithdorie.com/

6 comments:

  1. I know you're not complaining about your husband surprising you with dinner after your workout. I know you're not doing that. although...pictures would've been nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, count yourself lucky that Dennis is interested in our FFWD cooking club and wants to join in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Don't you just love it when they get an idea in their heads?
    Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I'm guilty of forgetting to take pictures of food sometimes and usually end up scrapping the idea of the blog post. Your husband is so sweet for preparing the salad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's sweet that he made the salad without any prompting, though I can relate to your disappointment that you weren't the one to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Consider yourself lucky that he made it - my partner almost brought home take out Thai because he was skeptical about the recipe. He ate it and enjoyed it, though, enough that he wants it again before strawberry season is over. :)

    ReplyDelete