Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Currant Occurance

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie cooking group chose "Cream Scones" for their baking challenge.  Interesting to note the ingredients list includes currants; the actual directions do not.  Oh well, nobody's perfect.  Me, I forgot to buy currants. I chopped up some dried cherries to use instead. Interesting to note I forgot to add them due to the faulty instructions.  There was my dough, divided and ready for the oven, chopped cherries sitting there waiting.  I did put the dough back into the bowl, and kneaded in the cherries. Not totally sure how these were supposed to turn out; I've never made scones this way before.  Reminded me of pie dough what with the cutting of the butter into the flour mixture.  Also, I think they could have used less oven time.  Nonetheless, delicious warm with a little butter and/or jelly.
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment