Aunt Emma's Never Fail Pie Crust

3 c sifted flour
1 1/4 c Shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg, well beaten
5 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vinegar

Cut shortening into flour and salt.
Combine egg, water, and vinegar in a separate bowl.
Pour liquid into flour mixture all at once. Blend with spoon until flour is all moistened.
It can be re-rolled without toughening. Will keep in refrigerator for two weeks or divide into balls enough for one pie and wrap in Saran wrap and freeze indefinitely.

Makes 2 crusts

Friday, July 22, 2011

Sunday Scones

I think I'm getting the hang of scones. These were mah-vel-ous!  Chestnut flour though?  Never did find it and wasn't about to drive around in the 107 degree heat to too many places.  The Tuesdays With Dorie group had some advice for substitutes: coconut flour, almond flour. I bought hazelnut flour. Measured it and mixed the dough just as if it were chestnut flour.  These tender morsels were terrific and not overly sweet. I'm liking this book, "Baking, From my home to yours" more and more. There are several scone recipes awaiting trial. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment